The Membership Committee is comprised of 15 – 20 members, including the Chair, two Deputy Chairs and 3 – 4 public representatives. CA members on the Committee are representative of the Institute’s membership by occupation and geographic location. Members of the Membership Committee are appointed for an initial one year term and are eligible for re-appointment for three additional three year terms and, thereafter, on an annual basis.
The Membership Committee:
- hears and determines appeals and reviews from decisions of the Registrar on admissions to membership;
- upon receipt of a referral to it by the Registrar of a matter regarding admission to membership, provides advice to the Registrar in accordance with the provisions of the bylaws and regulations;
- considers applications for licensing from any member where the good character of the member must be determined by means of a hearing;
- considers any application for a public accounting licence from a member in respect of whom the Public Accounting Licensing Board has directed that a hearing be held to determine whether the member has fulfilled the qualifications to be licensed set out in the Public Accounting Act, 2004, the regulations and Standards of the Public Accountants Council made under the Act and in the bylaws or regulations of the Institute;
- considers any application for a public accounting licence from a member who is licensed to practice public accounting in a jurisdiction outside Ontario;
- hears and determines reviews of decisions of the Public Accounting Licensing Board in respect of public accounting licensing matters, as specified in the bylaws and regulations of the Institute.
All proceedings before the Membership Committee are conducted in accordance with the Rules of Practice and Procedure adopted by the Institute’s Council.
If you are interested in becoming a member of this Committee, please fill out this application form. These volunteer opportunities are open to all senior members (10 yrs or more experience as a CA) of the profession whether in public practice, industry or government. Unless applicants indicate otherwise, resumes will be kept on file for two years for use in later Committee years. Only those applicants short-listed for Committee membership in the current year will be contacted.